Re: ALTER SYSTEM for pg_hba.conf

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER SYSTEM for pg_hba.conf
Date: 2017-01-04 20:46:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4 January 2017 at 20:30, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> My next thought is ALTER SYSTEM support for pg_hba.conf, especially
>> since that would make it easier to do a formal test of Haribabu's
>> pg_hba view patch by adding each of the options one by one and then
>> juggling them.
>
> It's quite unclear from this spec what you have in mind to control the
> entry order. Also, I'd personally be -1 on inventing a pile of new SQL
> keywords for this. Why not do it with a function, instead? Or for extra
> credit, finish the pg_hba view work first and then make it an updatable
> view.
>
>> ....and we can then have a nice simple
>> ALTER SYSTEM ENABLE REMOTE ACCESS FOR REPLICATION USING md5;
>
> I am minus a lot more than 1 on inventing a new SQL statement every time
> somebody thinks of a new way in which they'd like to frob pg_hba.conf.

Oh believe me, I'm with you on that thought!
...but I had thought the ALTER SYSTEM discussion was over now and SQL
was the agreed way, now.

I was chasing the "lets make replication simple as possible" direction
but this really doesn't add much apart from syntax.

Definitely have better things to do though, so happy to leave it there.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/