Re: Surjective functional indexes

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Surjective functional indexes
Date: 2017-09-13 11:00:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 13 September 2017 at 11:30, Konstantin Knizhnik
<k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> The only reason of all this discussion about terms is that I need to choose
> name for correspondent index option.
> Simon think that we do not need this option at all. In this case we should
> not worry about right term.
> From my point of view, "projection" is quite clear notion and not only for
> mathematics. It is also widely used in IT and especially in DBMSes.

If we do have an option it won't be using fancy mathematical
terminology at all, it would be described in terms of its function,
e.g. recheck_on_update

Yes, I'd rather not have an option at all, just some simple code with
useful effect, like we have in many other places.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/