Re: recovery_target_time = 'now' is not an error but still impractical setting

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Piotr Stefaniak <postgres(at)piotr-stefaniak(dot)me>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: recovery_target_time = 'now' is not an error but still impractical setting
Date: 2017-08-17 09:24:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15 August 2017 at 15:37, Piotr Stefaniak <postgres(at)piotr-stefaniak(dot)me> wrote:

> One thing I tried was a combination of recovery_target_action =
> 'shutdown' and recovery_target_time = 'now'. The result is surprising

Indeed, special timestamp values were never considered in the design,
so I'm not surprised they don't work and have never been tested.

Your suggestion of "furthest" is already the default behaviour.

Why are you using 'now'? Why would you want to pick a randomly
selected end time?

recovery_target_time = 'allballs' sounds fun for recovering corrupted databases

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/