Re: monitoring CREATE INDEX [CONCURRENTLY]

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahila(dot)syed(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: monitoring CREATE INDEX [CONCURRENTLY]
Date: 2019-03-28 15:27:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 at 14:56, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> I have not reinstated phase numbers; I have Rahila's positive vote for
> them. Do I hear any more votes on this issue?

If there is a specific technical issue, I'd like to understand that more.
If it is just a usability preference, then I say we should have numbers.

Numbering is natural for people. If we say "It's currently doing phase
XYZ", they will say "Is that the 3rd phase?", we'll say "No, actually the
5th", and then they will say "Why didn't you just number them?"

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>