Re: Failed recovery with new faster 2PC code

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nikhil Sontakke <nikhil(dot)sontakke(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stas Kelvich <s(dot)kelvich(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Failed recovery with new faster 2PC code
Date: 2017-04-17 09:14:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15 April 2017 at 23:37, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> After this commit, I get crash recovery failures when using prepared
> transactions.
>
> commit 728bd991c3c4389fb39c45dcb0fe57e4a1dccd71
> Author: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
> Date: Tue Apr 4 15:56:56 2017 -0400
>
> Speedup 2PC recovery by skipping two phase state files in normal path

Thanks Jeff for your tests.

So that's now two crash bugs in as many days and lack of clarity about
how to fix it.

Stas, I thought this patch was very important to you, yet two releases
in a row we are too-late-and-buggy.

If anybody has a reason why I shouldn't revert this, please say so now
fairly soon.

Any further attempts to fix must run Jeff's tests.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/