Re: Turning off HOT/Cleanup sometimes

From: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Turning off HOT/Cleanup sometimes
Date: 2015-04-20 18:21:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 20 April 2015 at 18:33, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> Also, I am also not sure we should be designing features at this stage
> in our release process.

I see this more as a process of gaining approval. I don't think patches at
the back of the queue should get the "its too late treatment" just because
they are at the back of the queue. They are logically all at the same
stage. There should be a way to allow people that show patience and respect
for the process to get the same timeshare as those that push their patches
daily.

Anyway, in this case, the patch conflicts with other things going in now,
so changing things isn't really sensible for this release, in terms of my
time.

We clearly need to do a better job of piggybacking actions on a dirty
block. The discussion has been about whether to do early cleanup, but we
should also consider post-access cleanup if we set hint bits or dirtied the
block in other ways.

Since we have many votes in favour of change in this area I'll post a new
version and look for an early review/commit for next release.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>