Re: Proposal: Trigonometric functions in degrees

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, Emre Hasegeli <emre(at)hasegeli(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Trigonometric functions in degrees
Date: 2015-10-26 17:29:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 26 October 2015 at 10:18, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > On 25 October 2015 at 09:16, Emre Hasegeli <emre(at)hasegeli(dot)com> wrote:
> >> I would prefer gradian over degree.
>
> > I think gradians are generally less commonly used than degrees and
> > radians, so I'm less inclined to include them.
>
> I agree. gradians are not often used at all, AFAICT.

I've never seen anyone use a gradian, even though my calculator had them
when I was 16.

I even misread the request, thinking he meant "radians". Definitely -1 to
gradians in PostgreSQL.

Also -1 to furlongs, fortnights, pecks and hundredweight, amongst others.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>