Re: WIP: Failover Slots

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: WIP: Failover Slots
Date: 2016-04-06 13:30:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6 April 2016 at 14:15, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

Nice summary

Failover slots are optional. And they work on master.

While the other approach could also work, it will work later and still
require a slot on the master.

=> I don't see why having Failover Slots in 9.6 would prevent us from
having something else later, if someone else writes it.

We don't need to add this to core. Each plugin can independently write is
own failover code. Works, but doesn't seem like the right approach for open
source.

=> I think we should add Failover Slots to 9.6.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>