Re: Using quicksort for every external sort run

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Subject: Re: Using quicksort for every external sort run
Date: 2015-11-25 00:46:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 25 November 2015 at 00:33, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:

> Parallel sort is very important. Robert, Amit and I had a call about
> this earlier today. We're all in agreement that this should be
> extended in that direction, and have a rough idea about how it ought
> to fit together with the parallelism primitives. Parallel sort in 9.6
> could certainly happen -- that's what I'm aiming for. I haven't really
> done preliminary research yet; I'll know more in a little while.

Glad to hear it, I was hoping to see that.

> > How about we commit it with a sort_algorithm = 'foo' parameter so we can
> > compare things before release of 9.6?
>
> I had a debug GUC (like the existing one to disable top-N heapsorts)
> that disabled "quicksort with spillover". That's almost the opposite
> of what you're asking for, though, because that makes us never use a
> heap. You're asking for me to write a GUC to always use a heap.

I'm asking for a parameter to confirm results from various algorithms, so
we can get many eyeballs to confirm your work across its breadth. This is
similar to the original trace_sort parameter which we used to confirm
earlier sort improvements. I trust it will show this is good and can be
removed prior to release of 9.6.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>