Re: Declarative partitioning

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Declarative partitioning
Date: 2015-08-19 12:23:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 18 August 2015 at 11:30, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
wrote:

> There is no need to define tuple routing triggers. CopyFrom() and
> ExecInsert() determine target partition just before performing
> heap_insert() and ExecInsertIndexTuples(). IOW, any BR triggers and
> constraints (on parent) are executed for tuple before being routed to a
> partition. If no partition can be found, it's an error.
>
> Because row-level AFTER triggers need to save ItemPointers in trigger
> event data and defining triggers on partitions (which is where tuples
> really go) is not allowed, I could not find a straightforward way to
> implement them. So, perhaps we should allow (only) row-level AFTER
> triggers on partitions or think of modifying trigger.c to know about this
> twist explicitly.

I think tables will eventually need FK support; its not sustainable as a
long term restriction, though perhaps its something we can do in a later
patch.

You haven't specified what would happen if an UPDATE would change a row's
partition. I'm happy to add this to the list of restrictions by saying that
the partition key cannot be updated.

We'll need regression tests that cover each restriction and docs that
match. This is not something we should leave until last. People read the
docs to understand the feature, helping them to reach consensus. So it is
for you to provide the docs before, not wait until later. I will begin a
code review once you tell me docs and tests are present. We all want the
feature, so its all about the details now.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>