Re: [HACKERS] generated columns

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] generated columns
Date: 2018-10-31 08:15:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 at 07:58, Erikjan Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl> wrote:

> I have also noticed that logical replication isn't possible on tables
> with a generated column. That's a shame but I suppsoe that is as
> expected.

Couldn't see anything like that in the patch. Presumably unintended
consequence. The generated value needs to be in WAL, so decoding it should
be trivial.

Virtual columns wouldn't need to be replicated.

I guess we might choose to replicate generated cols as a value, or leave
them out and let them be generated on the downstream side. The default
should be to just treat them as a value.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>