Re: MultiXact member wraparound protections are now enabled

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MultiXact member wraparound protections are now enabled
Date: 2015-07-25 08:11:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 22 July 2015 at 21:45, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> But it seemed to me that this could be rather confusing. I thought it
> would be better to be explicit about whether the protections are
> enabled in all cases. That way, (1) if you see the message saying
> they are enabled, they are enabled; (2) if you see the message saying
> they are disabled, they are disabled; and (3) if you see neither
> message, your version does not have those protections.

(3) would imply that we can't ever remove the message, in case people think
they are unprotected.

If we display (1) and then we find a further bug, where does that leave us?
Do we put a second "really, really fixed" message?

AIUI this refers to a bug fix, its not like we've invented some anti-virus
mode to actively prevent or even scan for further error. I'm not sure why
we need a message to say a bug fix has been applied; that is what the
release notes are for.

If something is disabled, we should say so, but otherwise silence means
safety and success.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>