Re: Bad order of Postgres links in Google search results and how to fix it

From: Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: obartunov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bad order of Postgres links in Google search results and how to fix it
Date: 2018-07-31 08:57:46
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 6:35 AM Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
wrote:

> The problem is well known for a long time, for example, this thread from
> 2009
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1252074856.13736.17.camel%40fsopti579.F-Secure.com
>
> It might helps if we generate sitemap.xml
> (https://www.postgresql.org/sitemap.xml) with links
> to the pages in "right" order.

Sitemaps won't be really useful here since their primary goal is to deliver
up-to-date lists of pages to search engines, with lastmod timestamps.

To influence on the search engines, it is very important to change the real
structure of website, to rework existing navigation for humans. This is the
key to solve this problem. The problem is not huge – I've shown "good"
examples in my original email and explained why they are "good".

We need to fix real users' behaviour – the most imporant thing is what
people use when they share documentation URLs in social networks, blogs and
articles.