Re: lastOverflowedXid does not handle transaction ID wraparound

From: Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stan Hu <stanhu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lastOverflowedXid does not handle transaction ID wraparound
Date: 2021-10-25 18:41:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 07:21 Stan Hu <stanhu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 9:01 PM Kyotaro Horiguchi
> <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > lastOverflowedXid is the smallest subxid that possibly exists but
> > possiblly not known to the standby. So if all top-level transactions
> > older than lastOverflowedXid end, that means that all the
> > subtransactions in doubt are known to have been ended.
>
> Thanks for the patch! I verified that it appears to reset
> lastOverflowedXid properly.

Is it right time to register the patch in the current commit fest, right?
(How to do that?)

On a separate note, I think it would be really good to improve
observability for SLRUs -- particularly for Subtrans SLRU and this
overflow-related aspects. pg_stat_slru added in PG13 is really helpful,
but not enough to troubleshoot, analyze and tune issues like this, and the
patches related to SLRU. Basic ideas:
- expose to the user how many pages are currently used (especially useful
if SLRU sizes will be configurable, see
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/34/2627/)
- Andrew Borodin also expressed the idea to extend pageinspect to allow
seeing the content of SLRUs
- a more specific thing: allow seeing lastOverflowedXid somehow (via SQL or
in logs) - we see how important it for standbys health, but we cannot see
it now.

Any ideas in the direction of observability?

Nik