Re: GSoC 2015 proposal: Support for microvacuum for GiST

From: Ilia Ivanicki <ivanicki(dot)ilia(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GSoC 2015 proposal: Support for microvacuum for GiST
Date: 2015-04-21 22:39:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> GSoC should be treated as a full-time job, that's how much time you're
>> expected to dedicate to it. Having bachelor's degree exams in June would be
>> a serious problem. You'll need to discuss with the potential mentors on how
>> to make up for that time.

My bachelor's diploma is almost done and I will have enough time for GSoC
work.

> Other than that, the schedule seems fairly relaxed. In fact, this project
> seems a bit too small for a GSoC project. I'd suggest coming up with some
> additional GiST-related work that you could do, in addition to the
> microvacuum thing. Otherwise I think there's a risk that you finish the
> patch in May, and have nothing to do for the rest of the summer.

I want to take additional work-item for gsoc 2015.

I don't known, which item of todo is completed, but I compose list of
items:

1) add support for microvacuum for GIN index in common with Anastasiya
Lubennikova (she will be realize function amgettuple in GIN), if it's a
possible feature.

2) bug with Index on inet changes query result (
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/201010112055(dot)o9BKtZf7011251(at)wwwmaster(dot)postgresql(dot)org#201010112055(dot)o9BKtZf7011251@wwwmaster.postgresql.org
)

3) Teach GIN cost estimation about "fast scans"(I know very little about
GIN, but discussion in mailing list was interesting for me)

4) pg_restore unusable for expensive matviews (
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20140820021530(dot)2534(dot)43156(at)wrigleys(dot)postgresql(dot)org#20140820021530(dot)2534(dot)43156@wrigleys.postgresql.org
)

5) may be community can suggest me such thing with GiST or microvacuum for
GiST will be usefull for all.

Best wishes,
Ivanitskiy Ilya.