Re: refactoring basebackup.c

From: Dipesh Pandit <dipesh(dot)pandit(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)toroid(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, tushar <tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: refactoring basebackup.c
Date: 2022-02-10 12:40:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> I had an offline discussion with Dipesh, and he will be working on the
> lz4 client side decompression part.

Please find the attached patch to support client side compression
and decompression using lz4.

Added a new lz4 bbstreamer to compress the archive chunks at
client if user has specified --compress=clinet-lz4:[LEVEL] option
in pg_basebackup. The new streamer accepts archive chunks
compresses it and forwards it to plain-writer.

Similarly, If a user has specified a server compressed lz4 archive
with plain format (-F p) backup then it requires decompressing
the compressed archive chunks before forwarding it to tar extractor.
Added a new bbstreamer to decompress the compressed archive
and forward it to tar extractor.

Note: This patch can be applied on Jeevan Ladhe's v12 patch
for lz4 compression.

Thanks,
Dipesh

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-support-client-side-compression-and-decompression-us.patch text/x-patch 23.0 KB