Proposal: PqSendBuffer removal

From: Aleksei Ivanov <iv(dot)alekseii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Proposal: PqSendBuffer removal
Date: 2020-03-05 21:02:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear community,

I am really curious what was the original intention of using the
PqSendBuffer and is it possible to remove it now.

Currently all messages are copied from StringInfo to this buffer and sent,
which from my point of view is redundant operation.
It is possible to directly send messages from StringInfo to client. For
example: allocate more bytes from the beginning and fill out it before sent
to client.

Maybe there was already discussion about it or if I missing something
please fill free to correct me.

Thank you in advance!