Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?
Date: 2018-07-26 09:23:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 9:33 AM Oleksandr Shulgin <
oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 8:35 PM Nico Williams <nico(at)cryptonector(dot)com>
> wrote:
>

>> What are you proposing anyways? That every commit come with a patent
>> search?
>>

> I would propose that everyone wasting their time and effort to discuss
> this issue here, would rather spend that time working towards putting an
> end to software patents instead.
> That would be a much better use of the time, IMHO.

What about adding an extra line to the license that indicates that the
copyright owners also give all patent licenses which are both in their
power to grant and also needed for exercise of the copyright license and
require that new code contributions use this license with the extra clause.

Now, no patent owner is likely to accept those terms, but then we can save
our breath for later discussion.

Strictly speaking I also don't think ti is the same thing as a global
public license for the patent, since it would only apply to cases where
there was a copyright license tied to the PostgreSQL source code
contributed by the patent holder. So you still have taint problems but
probably not to the same extent.

--
Best Regards,
Chris Travers