Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, "Fred (dot)Flintstone" <eldmannen(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system
Date: 2019-03-21 06:07:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-pkg-debian

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 1:49 AM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 08:41:32AM +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> >> Can someone describe a scenario where this (name of the binary not
> >> clearly indicating it's related postgres) causes issues in practice? On
> >> my system, there are ~1400 binaries in /usr/bin, and for the vast
> >> majority of them it's rather unclear where do they come from.
>
> Naming conflict because our binary names are too generic? createdb
> could for example be applied to any database, and not only Postgres.
> (I have 1600 entries in /usr/bin on a Debian installation.)

I generally agree with Tom that there is sufficient precedence here that we
don't need to worry about these conflicts per se. However I would add two
points where we might want to think:

1. createuser/dropuser are things that I don't consider good ways of
creating users anyway. I think we should just consider removing these
binaries. The SQL queries are better, more functional, and can be rolled
back as a part of a larger transaction.

2. initdb is not so much of a pressing issue but I think despite the
longer string, pg_ctl -D mydatadir init [options] would be clearer from a
new user perspective and pose less cognitive load.

--
Best Regards,
Chris Travers

Tel: +49 162 9037 210 | Skype: einhverfr | www.adjust.com