Re: Proposal: pg_rewind to skip config files

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com>
To: Vladimir Borodin <root(at)simply(dot)name>
Subject: Re: Proposal: pg_rewind to skip config files
Date: 2017-09-05 12:21:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Vladimir Borodin <root(at)simply(dot)name> wrote:

> 5 сент. 2017 г., в 12:31, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com>
> написал(а):
>
> I think the simplest solution for now is to skip any files ending in
> .conf, .log, and serverlog.
>

> Why don’t you want to solve the problem once? It is a bit harder to get
> consensus on a way how to do it, but it seems that there are no reasons to
> make temporary solution here.
>
> For example, in archive_command we put WALs for archiving from
> pg_xlog/pg_wal into another directory inside PGDATA and than another cron
> task makes real archiving. This directory ideally should be skipped by
> pg_rewind, but it would not be handled by proposed change.

Ok let's back up a bit in terms of what I see is the proper long-term fix.
Simple code, by the way, is important, but at least as important are
programs which solve simple, well defined problems. The current state is:

1. pg_rewind makes *no guarantee* as to whether differences in logs,
config files, etc. are clobbered. They may (If a rewind is needed) or not
(If the timelines haven't diverged). Therefore the behavior of these sorts
of files with the invocation of pg_rewind is not really very well defined.
That's a fairly big issue in an operational environment.

2. There are files which *may* be copied (I.e. are copied if the timelines
have diverged) which *may* have side effects on replication topology, wal
archiving etc. Replication slots, etc. are good examples.

The problem I think pg_rewind should solve is "give me a consistent data
environment from the timeline on that server." I would think that access
to the xlog/clog files would indeed be relevant to that. If I were
rewriting the application now I would include those. Just because
something can be handled separately doesn't mean it should be, and I would
refer not to assume that archiving is properly set up and working.

> Long run, it would be nice to change pg_rewind from an opt-out approach to
> an approach of processing the subdirectories we know are important.
>

> While it is definitely an awful idea the user can easily put something
> strange (i.e. logs) to any important directory in PGDATA (i.e. into base or
> pg_wal). Or how for example pg_replslot should be handled (I asked about it
> a couple of years ago [1])? It seems that a glob/regexp for things to skip
> is a more universal solution.

I am not convinced it is a universal solution unless you take an arbitrary
number or regexes to check and loop through checking all of them. Then the
chance of getting something catastrophically wrong in a critical
environment goes way up and you may end up in an inconsistent state at the
end.

Simple code is good. A program that solves simple problems reliably (and
in simple ways) is better.

The problem I see is that pg_rewind gets incorporated into other tools
which don't really provide the user before or after hooks and therefore it
isn't really fair to say, for example that repmgr has the responsibility to
copy server logs out if present, or to make sure that configuration files
are not in the directory.

The universal solution is to only touch the files that we know are needed
and therefore work simply and reliably in a demanding environment.

--
Best Regards,
Chris Travers

Tel: +49 162 9037 210 | Skype: einhverfr | www.adjust.com