Re: Binary COPY IN size reduction

From: Lőrinc Pap <lorinc(at)gradle(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Binary COPY IN size reduction
Date: 2020-04-28 12:13:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for the quick response, Tom!
What about implementing only the first part of my proposal, i.e. BINARY
COPY without the redundant column count & size info?
That would already be a big win - I agree the rest of the proposed changes
would only complicate the usage, but I'd argue that leaving out duplicated
info would even simplify it!

I'll give a better example this time - writing *1.8* million rows with
column types bigint, integer, smallint results in the following COPY IN
payloads:

*20.8MB* - Text protocol
*51.3MB* - Binary protocol
*25.6MB* - Binary, without column size info (proposal)

I.e. this would make the binary protocol almost as small as the text one
(which isn't an unreasonable expectation, I think), while making it easier
to use at the same time.

Thanks for your time,
Lőrinc

--