Re: Tid scan improvements

From: Edmund Horner <ejrh00(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tid scan improvements
Date: 2019-01-19 04:04:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 at 05:35, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Edmund Horner <ejrh00(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > My patch uses the same path type and executor for all extractable
> tidquals.
>
> > This worked pretty well, but I am finding it difficult to reimplement it
> in
> > the new tidpath.c code.
>
> I didn't like that approach to begin with, and would suggest that you go
> over to using a separate path type and executor node. I don't think the
> amount of commonality for the two cases is all that large, and doing it
> as you had it required some ugly ad-hoc conventions about the semantics
> of the tidquals list. Where I think this should go is that the tidquals
> list still has OR semantics in the existing path type, but you use AND
> semantics in the new path type, so that "ctid > ? AND ctid < ?" is just
> represented as an implicit-AND list of two simple RestrictInfos.

Thanks for the advice. This approach resembles my first draft, which had a
separate executor type. However, it did have a combined path type, with an
enum TidPathMethod to determine how tidquals was interpreted. At this
point, I think a different path type is clearer, though generation of both
types can live in tidpath.c (just as indxpath.c generates different index
path types).

> Now admittedly, this wouldn't give us an efficient way to execute
> queries with conditions like "WHERE ctid = X OR (ctid > Y AND ctid < Z)",
> but I find myself quite unable to get excited about supporting that.
> I see no reason for the new code to worry about any cases more complex
> than one or two TID inequalities at top level of the restriction list.

I'm a bit sad to see support for multiple ranges go, though I never saw
such queries as ever being particularly common. (And there was always a
nagging feeling that tidpath.c was beginning to perform feats of boolean
acrobatics out of proportion to its importance. Perhaps in some distant
future, TID quals will become another way of supplying TIDs to a bitmap
heap scan, which would enable complicated boolean queries using both
indexes and TID scans. But that's just musing, not a proposal.)

> In the query information given to the path generator, there is no existing
> > RestrictInfo relating to the whole expression "ctid > ? AND ctid < ?". I
> > am still learning about RestrictInfos, but my understanding is it doesn't
> > make sense to have a RestrictInfo for an AND clause, anyway; you're
> > supposed to have them for the sub-expressions of it.
>
> FWIW, the actual data structure for cases like that is that there's
> a RestrictInfo for the whole clause ctid = X OR (ctid > Y AND ctid < Z),
> and if you look into its "orclause" field, you will find RestrictInfos
> attached to the primitive clauses ctid = X, ctid > Y, ctid < Z. (The
> old code in tidpath.c didn't know that, because it'd never been rewritten
> since RestrictInfos were invented.) However, I think this new code should
> not worry about OR cases at all, but just pull out top-level TID
> comparison clauses.

Thanks for the explanation.