Re: Tid scan improvements

From: Edmund Horner <ejrh00(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tid scan improvements
Date: 2018-11-12 04:35:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, here's the new patch(s).

Mostly the same, but trying to address your comments from earlier as
well as clean up a few other things I noticed.

Cheers,
Edmund

On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 at 15:01, Edmund Horner <ejrh00(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 at 16:40, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > I've been looking over 0001 to 0003. I ran out of steam before 0004.
>
> Hi David, thanks for another big review with lots of improvements.
>
> > I like the design of the new patch. From what I threw so far at the
> > selectivity estimation code, it seems pretty good. I also quite like
> > the design in nodeTidscan.c for range scans.
>

> > I didn't quite manage to wrap my head around the code that removes
> > redundant quals from the tidquals. For example, with:
> >
> > postgres=# explain select * from t1 where ctid <= '(0,10)' and a = 0;
> > QUERY PLAN
> > Tid Scan on t1 (cost=0.00..3.19 rows=1 width=4)
> > TID Cond: (ctid <= '(0,10)'::tid)
> > Filter: (a = 0)
> > (3 rows)
> >
> > and:
> >
> > postgres=# explain select * from t1 where ctid <= '(0,10)' or a = 20
> > and ctid >= '(0,0)';
> > QUERY PLAN
> > Tid Scan on t1 (cost=0.01..176.18 rows=12 width=4)
> > TID Cond: ((ctid <= '(0,10)'::tid) OR (ctid >= '(0,0)'::tid))
> > Filter: ((ctid <= '(0,10)'::tid) OR ((a = 20) AND (ctid >= '(0,0)'::tid)))
> > (3 rows)
> >
> > I understand why the 2nd query didn't remove the ctid quals from the
> > filter, and I understand why the first query could. I just didn't
> > manage to convince myself that the code behaves correctly for all
> > cases.
>
> I agree it's not obvious.
>
> 1. We extract a set of tidquals that can be directly implemented by
> the Tid scan. This set is of the form: "(CTID op ? AND ...) OR
> (...)" (with some limitations).
> 2. If they happened to come verbatim from the original RestrictInfos,
> then they will be found in scan_clauses, and we can remove them.
> 3. If they're not verbatim, i.e. the original RestrictInfos have
> additional criteria that the Tid scan can't use, then tidquals won't
> match anything in scan_clauses, and hence scan_clauses will be
> unchanged.
> 4. We do a bit of extra work for the common and useful case of "(CTID
> op ? AND ...)". Since the top-level operation of the input quals is
> an AND, it will typically be split into multiple RestrictInfo items.
> We remove each part from scan_clauses.
>
> > 1. I see a few instances of:
> >
> > #define DatumGetItemPointer(X) ((ItemPointer) DatumGetPointer(X))
> > #define ItemPointerGetDatum(X) PointerGetDatum(X)
> >
> > in both tid.c and ginfuncs.c, and I see you have:
> >
> > + itemptr = (ItemPointer) DatumGetPointer(constval);
> >
> > Do you think it would be worth moving the macros out of tid.c and
> > ginfuncs.c into postgres.h and use that macro instead?
> >
> > (I see the code in this file already did this, so it might not matter
> > about this)
>
> I'm not sure about this one - - I think it's better as a separate
> patch, since we'd also change ginfuncs.c. I have left it alone for
> now.

> [...]

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-Add-selectivity-and-nullness-estimates-for-CTID-syst.patch application/octet-stream 2.8 KB
v4-0003-Support-backward-scans-over-restricted-ranges-in-hea.patch application/octet-stream 2.0 KB
v4-0002-Support-range-quals-in-Tid-Scan.patch application/octet-stream 55.8 KB
v4-0004-Tid-Scan-results-are-ordered.patch application/octet-stream 19.3 KB