Re: Issue in postgres_fdw causing unnecessary wait for cancel request reply

From: Kuwamura Masaki <kuwamura(at)db(dot)is(dot)i(dot)nagoya-u(dot)ac(dot)jp>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issue in postgres_fdw causing unnecessary wait for cancel request reply
Date: 2023-07-27 11:01:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, Fujii-san

> Regarding the WARNING message, another idea is to pass the return value
> of PQgetCancel() directly to PQcancel() as follows. If NULL is passed,
> PQcancel() will detect it and set the proper error message to errbuf.
> Then the warning message "WARNING: could not send cancel request:
> PQcancel() -- no cancel object supplied" is output.

I agree to go with this.

With this approach, the information behind the error (e.g., "out of
memory") will disappear, I guess.
I think we have to deal with it eventually. (I'm sorry, I don't have a good
idea right now)
However, the original issue is unnecessary waiting, and this should be
fixed soon.
So it is better to fix the problem this way and discuss retaining
information in another patch IMO.

I'm afraid I'm new to reviewing.
If I'm misunderstanding something, please let me know.

Masaki Kuwamura