psql \r changed behavior in pg10

From: Emanuel Araújo <eacshm(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql \r changed behavior in pg10
Date: 2020-07-23 00:01:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

When used PostgreSQL 9.6.* it was common use in psql \r\e to clear a buffer
query and open the empty text editor. Works fine for me and it was very
useful in my tasks.

Since PostgreSQL 10, this behavior changed and not more clear the
buffer query.

psql helps show that \r reset (clear) the query buffer but in practice
don't work or I do not understand how would work.

Example using postgrsql 11.8 :

select 1;
\e
-> Open temp file with a last statement "select 1;"
exit text editor and run command. It's ok.
\r
\e
-> Open temp file with the same last command "select 1;"
is it right?

--

*Regards,Emanuel Araújo*