Re: How to change standby node to sync from the new master without rebooting the PostgreSQL service?

From: Madan Kumar <madankumar1993(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scot(dot)Kreienkamp(at)la-z-boy(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to change standby node to sync from the new master without rebooting the PostgreSQL service?
Date: 2018-10-30 14:01:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks Scot.
But moving VIP is not feasible option for me.
At present PostgreSQL doesn't support for reloading of recovery.conf
parameters via SIGHUP. To prevent recovery.conf reload for master IP, I can
manage internal DNS to always point to the current master. However there
are some cases where old master will come up as standby before the new
master is elected. In this case it will lead to cascading replication.

So to overcome such cases reboot is a required. It can be achieved by
restarting the wal receiver process too. But there is no straight forward
way of restarting wal receiver process. The only way i figured out is to
kill the wal receiver process. Postmaster will take care of restarting the
wal receiver process. But here my worry is, will there be any side effect
if i kill wal receiver process (even using TERM signal)?

Warm Regards,
Madan Kumar K <https://about.me/madankumark>

*"There is no Elevator to Success. You have to take the Stairs"*