Re: [HACKERS] Walsender timeouts and large transactions

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Yura Sokolov <funny(dot)falcon(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Walsender timeouts and large transactions
Date: 2017-12-15 00:49:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15 December 2017 at 00:36, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
> wrote:

> On 12/14/2017 01:46 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > On 7 December 2017 at 01:22, Petr Jelinek
> > <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com <mailto:petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>>
> > wrote:
> >
> > On 05/12/17 21:07, Robert Haas wrote:
> > >
> > > Generally we write if (a && b) { ... } not if (a) { if (b) .. }
> > >

> > It's rather ugly with && because one of the conditions is two
> > line, but
> > okay here you go. I am keeping the brackets even if normally don't
> for
> > one-liners because it's completely unreadable without them IMHO.
> >

> > Yeah, that's why I passed on that FWIW. Sometimes breaking up a
> > condition is nice. Personally I intensely dislike the convention of
> >

> > if (big_condition
> > && big_condition)
> > one_linerdo_something;
> >

> > as awfully unreadable, but I guess code convention means you live with
> > things you don't like.
> >

> > Anyway, I've just hit this bug in the wild for the umpteenth time this
> > year, and I'd like to know what I can do to help progress it to
> > commit+backport.
> >

> Ask and ye shall receive. I've just committed it.

Brilliant, thanks. Backpatched too, great.

Now I'm going to shamelessly point you at the other nasty recurring logical
decoding bug while you're fresh from thinking about replication. I can
hope, right ;)

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/16/1397/ causes errors or bad data to be
decoded, so it's a serious bug.

I'll see if I can rustle up some review attention first though.