Re: auto_explain sample rate

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: auto_explain sample rate
Date: 2015-06-02 07:07:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 29 May 2015 at 11:35, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > It's sometimes desirable to collect auto_explain data with ANALYZE in
> order
> > to track down hard-to-reproduce issues, but the performance impacts can
> be
> > pretty hefty on the DB.
>
> > I'm inclined to add a sample rate to auto_explain so that it can trigger
> > only on x percent of queries,
>
> That sounds reasonable ...

Cool, I'll cook that up then. Thanks for the sanity check.

> > and also add a sample test hook that can be
> > used to target statements of interest more narrowly (using a C hook
> > function).
>
> You'd have to be pretty desperate, *and* knowledgeable, to write a
> C function for that. Can't we invent something a bit more user-friendly
> for the purpose? No idea what it should look like though.

I've been that desperate.

For the majority of users I'm sure it's sufficient to just have a sample
rate.

Anything that's trying to match individual queries could be interested in
all sorts of different things. Queries that touch a particular table being
one of the more obvious things, or queries that mention a particular
literal. Rather than try to design something complicated in advance that
anticipates all needs, I'm thinking it makes sense to just throw a hook in
there. If some patterns start to emerge in terms of useful real world
filtering criteria then that'd better inform any more user accessible
design down the track.