Re: Built-in plugin for logical decoding output

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Hernandez <aht(at)ongres(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>, Gregory Brail <gregbrail(at)google(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Built-in plugin for logical decoding output
Date: 2017-09-26 02:38:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 26 September 2017 at 01:53, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> the
> >
> > > ... I don't think that should mean that there's no possible output
> > > plugin that could/should be integrated into core.
> >
> > Yeah, my point is just that the argument needs to be about why a
> > *particular* plugin is valuable enough to justify adding it to the
> > core developers' maintenance workload.
>
> +1

Yep, and that goes for plugins like pglogical too.

I agree we need a json plugin, it's pretty clear that's a widespread need.

But I don't buy the whole argument about "hosted postgres" issues. The
hosted solutions suppliers can simply use 3rd party plugins, like some do
PostGIS already. Trying to push things into core is offloading work onto us
to make their lives easier and I don't much care for that.

Personally I'd be more friendly toward Amazon / Google / etc wanting us to
include things for their convenience if they actually usefully contributed
to development and maintenance of Pg.

--
Craig Ringer