Re: Master Master replication

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Prabhu R <prabhu(dot)nokia(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Master Master replication
Date: 2020-01-20 05:22:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 at 12:37, Prabhu R <prabhu(dot)nokia(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> Im looking for the roadmap of the feature - master-mater replication.
>
> In Postgresql-10, Bi-Directional replication (BDR3) has been embedded in
> it.

It's available as an extension, it's not part of PostgreSQL 10.

PostgreSQL 10 has single-master publish/subscribe.

> Are there any plans to have built-in master-master replications in future
> versions of Postgresql 13 (or) 14 ?

My understanding is that in the long term that's probably the case, but I
don't speak for 2ndQ or anyone else when saying so.

It's exceedingly unlikely that nontrivial multimaster logical replication
would be possible in PostgreSQL 13 or even 14 given the logical replication
facilities that are currently in the tree. A *lot* of things would need to
be done, and in many cases the approaches used in the current external MM
replication solutions could not be directly adopted without a lot of
redesign and revision as we already saw with the addition of basic logical
replication functionality in PostgreSQL 10.

Personally I'd be delighted to see people working towards this, but right
now I think most contributors are focused elsewhere.

2ndQuadrant - PostgreSQL Solutions for the Enterprise