Re: Password identifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Julian Markwort <julian(dot)markwort(at)uni-muenster(dot)de>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Valery Popov <v(dot)popov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Password identifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol
Date: 2016-12-13 01:35:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12 December 2016 at 22:39, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:

> * Throw an error if an "authorization identity" is given. ATM, we just
> ignore it, but seems better to reject the attempt than do something that
> might not be what the client expects.

Yeah. That might be an opportunity to make admins' and connection
poolers' lives much happier down the track, but first we'd need a way
of specifying a mapping for the other users a given user is permitted
to masquerade as (like we have for roles and role membership). We have
SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION already, which has all the same benefits and
security problems as allowing connect-time selection of authorization
identity without such a framework. And we have SET ROLE.

ERRORing is the right thing to do here, so we can safely use this
protocol functionality later if we want to allow user masquerading.