Re: Supporting huge pages on Windows

From: Craig Ringer <craig(dot)ringer(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Supporting huge pages on Windows
Date: 2017-04-04 10:24:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017-01-05 03:12:09 +0000, Tsunakawa, Takayuki wrote:
> From: pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
> > [mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Magnus Hagander
> > For the pg_ctl changes, we're going from removing all privilieges from
the
> > token, to removing none. Are there any other privileges that we should
be
> > worried about? I think you may be correct in that it's overkill to do
it,
> > but I think we need some more specifics to decide that.
>
> This page lists the privileges. Is there anyhing you are concerned about?
>
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/ja-jp/library/windows/desktop/
bb530716(v=vs.85).aspx

Aren't like nearly all of them a concern? We gone from having some
containment (not being to create users, shut the system down, ...), to
none. I do however think there's a fair argument to be made that other
platforms do not have a similar containment (no root, but sudo etc is
still possible), and that the containment isn't super strong.

TBH, anyone who cares about security and runs Win7 or Win2k8 or newer
should be using virtual service accounts and managed service accounts.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd548356

Those are more like Unix service accounts. Notably they don't need a
password, getting rid of some of the management pain that led us to abandon
the 'postgres' system user on Windows.

Now that older platforms are EoL and even the oldest that added this
feature are also near EoL or in extended maintenance, I think installers
should switch to these by default instead of using NETWORK SERVICE.

Then the issue of priv dropping would be a lesser concern anyway.