Re: Remove page-read callback from XLogReaderState.

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Álvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, andres(at)anarazel(dot)de, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Remove page-read callback from XLogReaderState.
Date: 2020-05-26 12:17:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 26 May 2020, 15:40 Kyotaro Horiguchi, <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> This patch removes all the three callbacks (open/close/page_read) in
> XL_ROUTINE from XLogReaderState. It only has "cleanup" callback
> instead.

I actually have a use in mind for these callbacks - to support reading WAL
for logical decoding from a restore_command like tool. So we can archive
wal when it's no longer required for recovery and reduce the risk of
filling pg_wal if a standby lags.

I don't object to your cleanup at all. I'd like it to be properly
pluggable, whereas right now it has hard coded callbacks that differ for
little reason.

Just noting that the idea of a callback here isn't a bad thing.