9.6 and fsync=off

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 9.6 and fsync=off
Date: 2016-04-27 09:58:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all

After helping clean up the mess from another user who turned fsync=off
because they read (bad) tuning advice that it was faster, I'd really like
to change the config file comment.

Really.

#fsync = on # turns forced synchronization on
or off

Now, we can't rename fsync to disable_crash_safety=on or
corrupt_my_database=on. But the comment needs changing.

How about:

#fsync = on # force disk flushes required for
crash safety

or, preferably something like:

"Enable forced disk flushes when they are required for crash safety.
Disabling fsync can lead to unrecoverable database corruption in a crash of
the host system."