Re: [Patch proposal] libpq portal support

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Sergei Fedorov <sergei(dot)a(dot)fedorov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Patch proposal] libpq portal support
Date: 2019-11-08 05:44:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 at 17:43, Sergei Fedorov <sergei(dot)a(dot)fedorov(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Yes, we will be happy to put our patch under the PostgreSQL License.
>
> Patch is attached to this email, master was rebased to head prior to
> creating the patch.
>
> We are using a C++ wrapper on top of libpq for using database connections
> in multithreaded asynchronous applications. For security reasons (and
> partially because we are too lazy to escape query parameters) we use
> prepared queries and parameter binding for execution. There are situations
> when we need to fetch the query results not in one batch but in a `paged`
> way, the most convenient way is to use the portals feature of PosgreSQL
> protocol.

Thanks. That's a really good reason. It'd also bring libpq closer to
feature-parity with PgJDBC.

Please add it to the commitfest app https://commitfest.postgresql.org/

2ndQuadrant - PostgreSQL Solutions for the Enterprise