Re: pg_receivexlog: spurious error message connecting to 9.3

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Marco Nenciarini <marco(dot)nenciarini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_receivexlog: spurious error message connecting to 9.3
Date: 2015-11-10 06:35:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10 November 2015 at 01:47, Marco Nenciarini
<marco(dot)nenciarini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it> wrote:

> I've attached a little patch that removes the errors when connected to 9.3.

Looks good to me. No point confusing users.

The other callers of RunIdentifySystem are pg_basebackup and
pg_receivelogical.

pg_basebackup doesn't ask for the db_name (passes null).

pg_receivelogical handles it being null already (and if it didn't,
it'd die with or without this patch).

pg_receivexlog expects it to be null and fails gracefully if it isn't.

So this change just removes some pointless noise.