Re: custom postgres launcher for tests

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Ivan Taranov <i(dot)taranov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: custom postgres launcher for tests
Date: 2020-02-21 01:49:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 at 19:33, Ivan Taranov <i(dot)taranov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> This patch allow to use custom postgres launcher for tests (tap&regress)
> by setting environment variable PGLAUNCHER.

I thought I saw a related patch to this that proposed to add a pg_ctl
argument. Was that you too? I can't find it at the moment.

In any case I *very definitely* want the ability to wrap the
'postgres' executable we launch via some wrapper command. I currently
do this with a horrid shellscript hack that uses next-on-path lookups
and a wrapper 'postgres' executable. But because of how
find_other_exec works this is rather far from optimal so I'm a fan of
a cleaner, built-in alternative.

I was initially going to object to using an env-var. But if someone
controls your environment they can already LD_PRELOAD you or PATH-hack
into doing whatever they want, so it's not a security concern. And
you're right that getting a pg_ctl command line or the like into all
the places where we'd want it deep inside TAP tests etc is just too
much hassle otherwise.

I haven't reviewed the code yet, but for the idea a strong +1000 or so.

2ndQuadrant - PostgreSQL Solutions for the Enterprise