Re: Partitionning: support for Truncate Table WHERE

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: legrand legrand <legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Partitionning: support for Truncate Table WHERE
Date: 2016-12-07 06:26:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 7 December 2016 at 07:29, legrand legrand
<legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Working in a DSS environment, we often need to truncate table partitions
> regarding a WHERE condition and have to
> [...]
> Would be pleased to ear your feedback regarding this.

It sounds like something that'd be useful to do on top of declarative
partitioning, once that is merged. Perhaps you could start by reading
and testing the declarative partitioning patch. That'll give you a
better idea of the practicalities of doing what you propose on top of
it, and give you an opportunity to suggest changes to the declarative
partitioning scheme that might make conditional truncate easier later.