Re: OK, so culicidae is *still* broken

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: OK, so culicidae is *still* broken
Date: 2017-04-25 12:18:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 25 Apr. 2017 13:37, "Heikki Linnakangas" <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:

For some data shared memory structures, that store no pointers, we wouldn't
need to insist that they are mapped to the same address in every backend,
though. In particular, shared_buffers. It wouldn't eliminate the problem,
though, only make it less likely, so we'd still need to retry when it does
happen.

Good point. Simply splitting out shared_buffers into a moveable segment
would make a massive difference. Much less chance of losing the dice roll
for mapping the fixed segment.

Should look at what else could be made cheaply relocatable too.