Re: Packages: Again

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Wolfgang Wilhelm <wolfgang20121964(at)yahoo(dot)de>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Packages: Again
Date: 2017-01-13 09:11:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 13 January 2017 at 16:49, Wolfgang Wilhelm <wolfgang20121964(at)yahoo(dot)de> wrote:
> - Devs just don't want to change (some) code. Everybody seems to have code
> with huge technical debt which is best not to be touched. This code should
> have an easy "move code from Oracle to PostgreSQL", best case by not forcing
> the devs to look at this scary code.

That's kind of offsetting their technical debt onto us, though, and by
extension other PostgreSQL users.

Support compatibility stuff we don't need, that doesn't really benefit
other users, just so they can do less porting and cleanup work.

I'm 100% for implementing _useful_ features based on users' migration
needs from other DBMSes. Even ones that aren't that useful, but come
at low cost to us. But introducing whole new systems to make porting a
little easier does not thrill me.

Also, that's where EDB's market is, and I don't personally feel any
desire to push community PostgreSQL in the Oracle compatibility
direction. Porting tools, sure. Useful features, sure. Direct
compatibility, meh.

I guess what I'm saying is that if someone wants PostgreSQL to have
packages, they need to have:

* A design that can fit in with PostgreSQL
* Solid benefits beyond "makes life easier for Oracle users" to
justify each feature/change
* Funding/time to make it happen

So far, I haven't seen anyone with one of those, let alone all three.