Re: Postgresql gives error that role goes not exists while it exists

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: Nick Dro <postgresql(at)walla(dot)co(dot)il>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql gives error that role goes not exists while it exists
Date: 2017-10-03 14:57:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3 October 2017 at 20:47, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br> wrote:

> > Can someone assists with the issue posted on StackOverflow?
> >
> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46540537/postgresql-9-3-creation-of-group-role-causes-permission-problems
> >

> > Creation of new Group Role causes postgresql to think that Login roles does
> > not exist. I think it's a bug? or at least a wrong error message
> >
> I'm not sure. I bet a dime that the role was created as "Iris" and you
> are trying to assing "iris" (they are different). If you list the
> roles, we can confirm that.

... and the reason we don't emit a HINT here is that the exact same
HINT would apply in any context involving identifiers, so we'd just
flood the logs. It'd be spurious in most cases.

We could only emit a useful HINT if we actually went and looked in the
relevant catalog for a different-cased version. Which is pretty
expensive.