Re: initdb issue on 64-bit Windows - (Was: [pgsql-packagers] PG 9.6beta2 tarballs are ready)

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Haroon (dot)" <contact(dot)mharoon(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Haroon <muhammad(dot)haroon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Umair Shahid <umair(dot)shahid(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: initdb issue on 64-bit Windows - (Was: [pgsql-packagers] PG 9.6beta2 tarballs are ready)
Date: 2016-06-30 02:43:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 30 June 2016 at 07:21, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Thanks for investigating! I'll go commit that change. I wish someone
> >> would put up a buildfarm critter using VS2013, though.
>
> > Uh, isn't that what woodlouse is using?
>
> Well, it wasn't reporting this crash, so there's *something* different.

It may only affect the i386 to x86_64 cross compiler. If Woodlouse is using
native x86_64 compilers perhaps that's why?

We've confirmed it on two different versions of VS 2013, so it's not
specific to one minor compiler point release.

It'd be handy if the buildfarm captured the output of:

* cl (no arguments, first line only)
* msbuild /nologo /version

and the env vars:

* VS*COMNTOOLS (* being any 3 digits)
* PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE
* PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER
* PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432

since right now it's hard to be totally sure exactly what a VS animal is
building with unless there's a log attached due to a failure.

That said, TBH I doubt we can or should cover every VS release in every VS
configuration. Especially since there are so many ways you can excitingly
break and mangle VS, particularly when installing multiple VS versions on
one host. It's a great IDE with a truly awful set of installation and
managment tools.