Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Code cleanup in the wake of recent LWLock refactoring.

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Code cleanup in the wake of recent LWLock refactoring.
Date: 2016-02-10 17:45:24
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 11 February 2016 at 00:21, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> If there's a strong feeling that we should keep the old APIs around,
> we can do that, but I think that (1) if we don't remove them now, we
> probably never will and (2) they are vile APIs.

Yep.

Delete 'em.

Things regularly change between releases in ways that're visible to
extensions, though not necessarily as obviously part of the extension API.
The most obvious being at least one change to ProcessUtility_hook and
probably other hook function signature changes over time.

It's a pain to have to #if around the differences, but better to export
that to extensions than *never* be able to retire cruft from core. Lets not
be Java, still stuck with Java 1.0 APIs everyone knows are unspeakably
awful.

Delete the APIs, relnote it with the required changes and be done with it.