Re: PostgreSQL and Homomorphic Encryption

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tal Glozman <glozmantal(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and Homomorphic Encryption
Date: 2018-05-22 07:50:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 22 May 2018 at 14:34, Tal Glozman <glozmantal(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello PostgreSQL Team,
>
> I'm doing a project at my university (HU Berlin) involving homomorphic
> encrypted searches on data bases. Does PostgreSQL support homomorphic
> encryption-based searches?

Not natively, as far as I know anyway.

I don't think pgcrypto offers any facilities you could use for useful
homomorphic encryption, except for the obvious degenerate case of
comparison by equality of unsalted encrypted data.

PostgreSQL is very extensible and you could definitely add data types for
homomorphic encryption + the required index access method implementations
etc. A quick Google search for "postgres homomorphic" finds various
information on the topic.