Re: Missing steps for "Building with Visual C++ or the Microsoft Windows SDK"

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: mmicr001(at)odu(dot)edu, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Missing steps for "Building with Visual C++ or the Microsoft Windows SDK"
Date: 2018-03-01 01:20:38
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 1 March 2018 at 00:31, PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/install-windows-full.html
>
> Hi,
> I am not very experienced and some of these corrections may be trivial or
> childish.
>
> I have been following the steps for "Building with Visual C++ or the
> Microsoft Windows SDK" for 9.6. using Visual Studio 2015.
> Everything was pretty straightforward aside from a few things:
>
> - I didn't find a config.pl file and wasn't sure if I created it what
> exactly to put in it (I thought about copy/paste from the
> "config_default.pl" but decided not to). Instead I added all the required
> libraries to the system PATH.

It wouldn't hurt to spell that out explicitly, though I would've assumed it
was implied by the filename and presence of a config_default.pl .

Please send a docs patch.

> - After having successfully run "build" and "install" I was having issues
> running the regression tests. "vcregress check" ran fine but after that I
> kept getting this error:
> psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
> Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting
> TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
> Obviously, there was no server running. But I was never instructed to
> create
> a data directory or user, and run "initDB" and "pgstl Start" before this
> step. I think that should be added somewhere between to avoid confusion. (I
> may be completely wrong and have missed some step somewhere)

vcregress check should create a temporary datadir and start a temporary
server. If it fails to do so, there's something wrong with your setup. It's
likely this is related to the missing config.pl .

vcregress installcheck (different command) requires an existing running
server. But that's not what you ran.