Re: Proposal: Generic WAL logical messages

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Artur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Generic WAL logical messages
Date: 2016-03-21 15:11:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 18 March 2016 at 20:36, Artur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> On 17.03.2016 15:42, Craig Ringer wrote:
>

>> Would you mind sharing the plugin here? I could add it to
>> src/test/modules and add some t/ tests so it runs under the TAP test
>> framework.
>>

>> --
>> Craig Ringer http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
>> PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services
>>

> Of course. I attached it.

Thanks for that.

Since it incorporates fairly significant chunks of code from a number of
places and is really a proof of concept rather than demo/example I don't
think it can really be included as a TAP test module, not without more
rewriting than I currently have time for anyway.

> But it shows concept of DDL replication.

Yeah, a part of it anyway. As I outlined in another thread some time ago,
getting DDL replication right is fairly tricky and requires more changes
than just capturing the raw DDL (or even deparsed DDL) and sending it over
the wire.

It's a useful proof of concept, but way too big to use as an in-tree
regression for logical WAL messages as I was hoping.