Re: OK, so culicidae is *still* broken

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OK, so culicidae is *still* broken
Date: 2017-04-24 12:40:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16 April 2017 at 05:18, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Because of ASLR of the main executable (i.e. something like PIE). It'll
> supposedly become harder (as in only running in compatibility modes) if
> binaries don't enable that. It's currently disabled somewhere in the VC
> project generated.

I thought we passed /DYNAMICBASE:NO directly , but I don't see that in
the code. A look at the git logs shows that we disabled it in
7f3e17b48 by emitting
<RandomizedBaseAddress>false</RandomizedBaseAddress> in the MSBuild
project. That'll pass /DYNAMICBASE:NO to the linker.

See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb384887.aspx

It's rather better than the old registry hack, but it's a compat
option we're likely to lose at some point.