Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Everaldo Canuto <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Vérité <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2017-12-12 02:07:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12 December 2017 at 05:16, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > On 12/9/17 19:28, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> No, my problem with it is that there are lots of contexts where typing
> >> "help" won't produce anything. Robert's proposal downthread would
> >> go a long way towards fixing that.
>
> > No opinion on that, but if the problem is that people don't know how to
> > quit psql, then we should just put that information back into the
> > welcome message and be done with it.
>
> I don't think people read the welcome message, or at least they
> immediately forget it.

What welcome message?

$ psqlpsql (9.6.4, server 9.5.8)
Type "help" for help.

craig=>

Oh, huh. There's something written below the version.

OK, you might argue that if I wasn't a constant psql user I wouldn't have
learned to be blind to that yet. But I think many users are probably almost
as blind to welcome messages are they are to banner ads. And lets face it,
the users we're trying to reach aren't necessarily the best readers/problem
solvers already.