Re: Proposal: "Causal reads" mode for load balancing reads without stale data

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: "Causal reads" mode for load balancing reads without stale data
Date: 2015-11-16 11:01:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16 November 2015 at 18:44, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> The pooler knows which statements are reads and writes

I think that's an iffy assumption. It's one we tend to make because
otherwise read/write pooling won't work, but in PostgreSQL there's really
no way to know when calling a function.

What does

SELECT get_user_stats()

do? The pooler has _no_ _idea_ unless manually configured with knowledge
about particular user defined functions.

In the absence of such knowledge it can:

- send the work to a replica and report the ERROR to the user if it fails
due to an attempted write;
- send the work to a replica, capture an ERROR due to attempted write, and
retry on the master;
- send everything it's not sure about to the master

If a pooler had insight into the catalogs and if we had readonly /
readwrite attributes on functions, it could be smarter.

> I would like to see a load balancing pooler in Postgres.

Given the number of times I say "no, no, don't raise max_connections to
2000 to solve your performance problems, lower it to around 100 and put
pgbouncer in front if your application doesn't support connection pooling
internally" .... yes!