Re: WG: Packages: Again

From: Craig Ringer <craig(dot)ringer(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WG: Packages: Again
Date: 2017-01-13 14:11:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 13 Jan. 2017 19:16, "Thomas Kellerer" <

Which is a bit cumbersome given Oracle's limit on 30 characters for
identifiers - but it still increases maintainability. And one of the
advantages given for packages was the increase in namespace availability
which is much easier with Postgres anyway.

I was wondering where the namespace thing came from. Sure,
packagename_funcname I'd cumbersome but it's not exactly hard and we've
been doing it in C since forever.

I'd assumed it was an issue in the opposite direction. PG identifiers being
too short. But it sounds like instead it's people not realising they can do
this.